[TriZPUG] Proposal: talk for next-ish meeting

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Jul 29 18:04:03 CEST 2009

On 7/28/2009 2:07 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
> I just gave a talk at OSCON that might be nice to reuse at a ZPUG
> meeting if there's any interest.  It would be titled "Launchpad
> Foundations: If the Abstractions Don't Kill Us..." and the talk is about
> how Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/ , sponsored by Canonical and used
> to develop Ubuntu) uses the zope.interface and zope.component libraries
> in the Launchpad software.
>
> The talk is based on interviews: I wanted to see how engineers on the
> team interacted with these packages, and what successes and problems we
> had with them.  I close with some ideas on how we might improve our use
> of the technologies, how the technologies might be changed themselves,
> and how/whether they might be used in other contexts, like Django.
>
> As is, the talk is about 45 minutes long.  I could trim it, or take a
> bit longer for questions.
>
> I could do this August 27, or later.

+1. Highly interested. Highly interested in hearing this full length.
Highly interested hearing this August 27.

Thank you.

BTW, in other languages we ask for permission to do something or test
the conditions for doing something before doing anything.

In Python, we just do what we say and handle exceptions which may occur
because of just doing it.

So, I'm assuming you are Pythonic and have just said you are making a 45
minute presentation entitled "Launchpad Foundations: If the Abstractions
Don't Kill Us..." about zope.interface and zope.component at the
Thursday August 27 TriZPUG meeting. :)

The August 27 meeting is scheduled for rotation to Raleigh. The last
couple of meetings in Raleigh have been hosted by NCSU by way of Alex
Ray. I'll ping him. If he is not available, we have our older location
of Capstrat in Raleigh to fall back on. Either way, I'll get the
announcements in motion.

http://www.secoora.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530