[triangle-zpug] Plone Jams

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Oct 26 17:05:07 CEST 2007

David Handy wrote:
> What would I do at a Plone jam? Well, I guess I'd pull out my little Plone
> book and start working on beginning stuff, because that's where I'm at. But
> it would be real helpful to be able to ask questions of real people in real
> time, provided they don't get too annoyed...

I think one of the purposes of Plone Jam is for real people to be in the
same room together working on Plone in real time.

So bring your Lisa Simpson saxophone.

I heard from Rob on #trizpug that he is OK with Wednesdays, too. I'm
really hoping to hear from Mike Revoir as he's so experienced with the
design pattern Plone Jam is playing around with. Maybe we could
alternate Plone Jam back and forth between Duke and UNC if it would help
Mike?

David, are you saying you'd like TriZPUG regular meetings back on
Wednesdays? Your opinion counts as much as anybody's here as you were
the one who requested the move to Tuesdays. :)

BTW, this is the book to work from now:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Plone-Development-Martin-Aspeli/dp/1847191983

And according to Joel Burton, you will need to read this one first:

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Component-Development-Zope-3/dp/3540338071

BTW, again, Philipp's book is coming out in a third edition in paperback
in Feb 2008. Right now Amazon has the 2nd edition at 37% off. The new
paperback edition will be as expensive as the hardback ($60).

I'm going to tack one more thing onto this email. I was just contacted
by Tres, ChrisM, and Paul at Agendaless. I've told some of you about how
  excited I am by their latest development:

http://repoze.org/

Repoze is going to allow all Python web frameworks to converge into one
big pool of components. Grok, Twisted, Pylons, Django, Turbogears,
Zope2, Zope3, Plone.... we'll all be able to develop from a set of
shared components. Repoze is the single most important development in
the Python world at present.

Tres is offering to send someone from Agendaless to talk to us about
Repoze. I've asked them to come whenever they like and that I would also
try to coordinate with ChapPy. Whenever they choose to come, I think we
should make a concerted effort to get a big audience there. ChrisM is
particularly good at making easy to grok presentations. It might be time
to try another form of video conferencing again, and try to bring in the
Atlanta Plone group and some of our other friends.

http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323