[triangle-zpug] Book review (so far): "Professional Plone Development"

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Oct 11 12:13:09 CEST 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 7:24 PM, David Handy wrote:
> I bought Martin Aspeli's new book "Professional Plone Development",
> and so
> far I have been very glad I did.
>
> I seem to be the perfect target audience for Aspeli's book: Someone
> with a
> fair amount of Python programming experience, that wants to have Plone
> explained to him in detail from a programming perspective.
>
> So far I have read just the first 50 pages (out of 392), but I feel
> like I
> have already gained a lot of relavant information. I am reading the
> book in
> two passes - I first read over a whole chapter, then I go back and
> download
> stuff, try his examples at the command line, etc. Good stuff.
>
> Aspeli is good not just for facts but recommended best practices.
> So far I
> am in complete agreement with his philosophies. And especially, I
> am very
> pleased for once to be reading relevant, up to date material!

Here at Plone Conference, you are a very popular person if you have a
copy of Martin's book with you. It was shipped about the same time as
most people were leaving home to come to the conference. Some people
got theirs before leaving for conference. Some people didn't.
Everybody wants one. Martin tried to get some to bring to the
conference. But there were shipping problems getting many copies into
Italy so soon after availability. So you may be *more* fortunate if
you aren't at Plone Conference because you have a way of getting the
Martin's new book. I got to look through Scott Paley's copy at dinner
last night. I assume the copy I've had pre-ordered since last summer
is either sitting on my porch at home or returned by UPS for not
having a signature to receive it. The publisher sent me an email
telling me my copy had been shipped on the day before I left for Italy.

At the end of Joel Burton's pre-conference Plone 3 training, which
was not about general Plone development, but instead about just the
new things for developers in Plone 3, Joel recommends reading Phillip
von Weitershausen's Zope 3 book first. Martin spends about two
paragraphs on Zope 3 concepts and then uses them extensively in his
Plone 3 book. If you've only gotten through the first 3 chapters,
you're still in the chatty parts of the book before he shifts into
high gear with Zope 3 components.

Other North Carolina people here in Napoli for Plone Conference:
Stephan Altmueller of UNC and Jeff Gayle from Charlotte and the newly
formed CharPy. Veda Williams, formerly of UNC, now of Seattle, is
also here.

http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall cell: (919) 599-3530