[Tkinter-discuss] IDLE can't be opened

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Jun 17 02:37:25 CEST 2015

In article <01AD415B-C98C-433B-95D9-59731D9D40BA at genetics.utah.edu>,
 Petr Tvrdik <ptvrdik at genetics.utah.edu> wrote:
> I have installed Python IDLE from https://www.python.org/downloads/
>
> When I launch the IDLE program I get the error message "The application IDLE
> can't be opened."
>
> However, the application WORKS IN ANOTHER ACOUNT on the same machine (Macbook
> Pro, mid 2010, updated to Yosemite 10.10.3)
>
> I have also installed the latest ActiveTcl (buildno 298892) (which is the one
> recommended for the OS
> [ActiveTcl8.5.18.0.298892-macosx10.5-i386-x86_64-threaded.dmg]
>
> What can I do to make this work? Possible interference with another tkinter?
> From this or the other login account?

This is probably not the best list to be asking questions about problems
using IDLE; the general Python-list might be better:

Nevertheless, a few suggestions: you didn't say which version of Python
you installed and are trying to use (the currently supported versions
are 3.4.3 and 2.7.10).  Each will install its own version of IDLE.  When
you launch IDLE by double-clicking on its icon in an
/Applications/Python x.x folder, many error messages that might be
generated during launch are not displayed directly to you, rather they
go into system logs that can be views with the Console app.  However, it
is easier to see the errors if you try to start IDLE directly from
within a terminal sesssion, for example with Terminal app.  If you used
the install defaults, try typing either:

/usr/local/bin/idle3.4
or
/usr/local/bin/idle2.7

and see what happens.  There are sometimes problems due to values set in
IDLE's per-user preference files.  You can remove them before launching
IDLE by typing in the terminal session:

rm -r ~/.idlerc

Good luck!

--