[Tkinter-discuss] Checkbutton indicatoron ignored on Mac

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Oct 25 23:40:16 CEST 2012

In article <rowen-2AB42F.09155025102012 at news.gmane.org>,
 "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at uw.edu> wrote:

> I just realized that the Checkbutton option "indicatoron" is being
> ignored on Mac OS X: the checkbox is always shown, even if indicatoron
> is false.
>
> I'm using ActiveState's Tcl/Tk 8.5.11, specifically:
> ActiveTcl8.5.11.1.295590-macosx10.5-i386-x86_64-threaded
>
> Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a workaround? It ruins the
> appearance of a lot of my application.
>
> I see that ActiveState now has version 8.5.12 available and I'll give
> that a try. Anyone know how reliable that is on Mac OS X? I've seen
> warnings of bugs, but I don't know if they were fixed in time for that
> release.

Specifically with regard to using ActiveTcl 8.5.x with Python on OS X,
there are some bugs fixed in 8.5.12.0 and 8.5.12.1; however there are at
least two serious regressions that exist in 8.5.12.1.  One is a Tk crash
when attempting to open IDLE's Preferences menu: there is now a patch
for all current versions of IDLE that works around the problem.  Second
is a Tk crash when using the clipboard copy command.  That problem
apparently has been fixed in the top-of-trunk of Cocoa Tk 8.5 (which was
formerly a separate branch but has now been merged into the main Tk 8.5
support branch) subsequent to the release of ActiveTk 8.5.12.1.  If
either of these problems might affect your use, I would recommend
staying with ActiveTcl 8.5.11.1 for the time being.

http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org