[Tkinter-discuss] tkinter - hopefully forecasting a very long life...

Kevin Buchs kevin.buchs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:22:22 CEST 2011

Alesandro,

Tk has been around for probably more than 20 years. It is established in
many applications. I would think that tkinter is well established. However,
you have to consider that computer science is an ever-changing field. Some
things that were well established 20 years ago are gone now. And, 40 years
ago: ever used punched cards, reel-to-reel tape, Lisp, COBOL or Fortran?
Things will change. If you really want insurance against change, grab all
the tools you use in source form, to the extent they are available and
maintain your current environment as long as your hardware holds out. You
can get Linux, compilers, Tk, Python and all the Python packages you use in
your Wiki project and keep those going.

When I first started to read your post, I assumed that you were developing
the wiki as a learning exercise. Then when I got to your question about long
term availability I realized you want a production tool. So, I just have to
ask now, why not use what has been developed by others. HTML browsers are an
ideal tool for navigating Wikis. I am not sure of what role Tk plays in your
project, but developing a full-browser capability seems like a lot of work.
There are plenty of open-source wikis available. I think there are probably
wikis available written in Python. They need not provide any graphical
interface to work. You can even buy a production, enterprise class
commercial wiki from Atlassian for $10.

Kevin Buchs