[Tkinter-discuss] Help

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Feb 19 12:25:22 CET 2011

In article
<AANLkTi=1tUNYur=VNWvk4+Jn2vYP1px7ijo3z2eww7ou at mail.gmail.com>,
 Georges Arsouze <georges.arsouze at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, i'm beginning with tk
> I'm working with Snow leopard and Python 3.1
> As you say, I have download Tcl/tk with ActivateState
> Now I have Tcl.framework and Tk.framework in /Library/Framework
>
> In a mail, i read : "There's no need to build it yourself. "
>
> So , i try in Python 3
> In python 3.1 I try

> ans i always obtain
>
> This is Tc/Tk version 8.4 ............

Yes, as I noted in previous posts, until recently all python.org
installers (including those for Python 3.1.x) have been linked with
Tcl/Tk 8.4 as that has been the only version supplied with Mac OS X
prior to 10.6.  With Python 2.7 and Python 3.2, there is now a second
python.org installer variant available, one which only works on 10.6, is
64-bit/32-bit, and is linked with Tcl/Tk 8.5.  If you want to use Tcl/Tk
8.5, you can use that installer for Python 3.2, which is being released
this weekend and should be officially available in the next 2 to 3 days.
 You will need to use the latest ActiveState Tcl/Tk 8.5 with it as the
Apple-supplied Tcl/Tk 8.5 in OS X 10.6 is known to have serious
problems.  Python 3.2 should be preferred to 3.1, in any case, as there
are many bug fixes in it.

If you don't want to use 3.2 and don't mind using an X11-based Tk,
another option is to install Python 3.1 using MacPorts.  The default
MacPorts Tk is 8.5 via X11.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org