[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter (IDLE) freeze when I try to use ttk

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Sun Jul 11 10:07:30 CEST 2010

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Guido Carballo-Guerrero <charras at me.com>
>No my problem is that I can't use Python's IDLE. Well, I can only open one window at a time. If I try to open a new window to make a program, Python freeze. Some curios, if that if I don't have Python open, and double click on a program, Python opens the IDLE and the program in to separate windows without a problem, but when I try to run the program it freeze.
>
>I guess that this is a bug somewhere in the ttk implementation, or in Python. Do you guys have any idea how can I solve this? Or have anybody update Python to 2.7, and use ttk on a Mac? If so, please let me know how you manage to do it.

As far as I know this is just because IDLE is written in tkinter. So if you try to run another tkinter application from IDLE, the two mainloop() calls interfere with each other. You should be able to run console applications from IDLE, but with tkinter applications you can develop them using IDLE but run them from a console (or whatever is used as a console on a Mac). It's nothing to do with the Python version or with ttk and I doubt it can be called a bug.

HTH
Sibylle