[Tkinter-discuss] getvalue fails on pmw.radioselect after using configure on component

ethoms ethoms at usgs.gov
Fri Oct 30 21:46:35 CET 2009

I am using a generic function to build Pmw.RadioSelect widgets:

    def make_checkbuttons(self, parent, buttonlist):
        """Make a multiple-selection Pmw.RadioSelect checkbuttons"""
        widget = Pmw.RadioSelect(parent,
                                selectmode = 'multiple',
                                buttontype = 'checkbutton',
                                orient = 'vertical')
        widget.pack(side = 'left', expand = True, fill = 'both', padx = 4)
        for button in buttonlist:
            widget.add(button)
        return widget

In one instance I want to configure the options on three checkboxes after
the generic creation of the widget:

        #after the generic construction of this radio button group,
        #we need to set some specific parameters
        self.var1 = IntVar()
        self.var4 = IntVar()
        self.generalops.button('all maps same data frame').configure(state =
'disabled', padx = 15)
        self.generalops.button('leave ArcMap open').configure(command =
self.leave_open, variable = self.var1)
        self.generalops.button('export plots').configure(command =
self.export_plots, variable = self.var4)

       #doesn't matter if I pack before or after the post-configuration
        self.generalops.pack(side = 'left', anchor = 'w')

But, if I do that, self.generalops.getvalue() returns nothing for those
buttons which have been post-configured. Any suggestions?