[Tkinter-discuss] From wxPython to TK

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Thu Mar 19 14:24:20 CET 2009

jimscafe wrote:

> To the more experienced (i.e. people who program for a living), is using tk
> a sensible decision? I looked at other gui options, but all seemed
> complicated and not necessarily well documented online.
> Where am I likely to come across things I need to do that will be impossible
> in tk (if any)?

Wx has a few things that Tk does not. Tk lacks an adequate
cross-platform implementation of drag-and-drop and printing, for
instance. There are extensions for these things, but not all of them
have Python wrappers, and they don't work on all platforms.

That said, for most things Tk--either by itself or with extensions--is
more than adequate.

> There doesn't seem to be much development going on in tk, is this a
> potential future problem?

Tk has actually had a huge number of advances in the past few years:
themed widgets, new widgets such as a tree and table view, and more.
These have started first in the Tcl/Tk world, where Tk is developed, but
these advances are moving out into other languages with Tk bindings. I
would say that Tk is now on par with the other major toolkits, apart
from the issues noted above.

This site is a good overview to the state-of-the-art in Tk:
http://www.tkdocs.com/

Here's the site that documents the effort to integrate these things into
Python:  http://gpolo.ath.cx:81/projects/pyttk/

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer