[Tkinter-discuss] Dialog and mainloop (UNCLASSIFIED)

Gerardo Juarez gerardo at computo-industrial.com.mx
Sun Jul 15 21:41:49 CEST 2007

Use a Toplevel window, display your dialog there and add a button whose
command is "withdraw". Like this:

def winmsg(s):
    w = Toplevel()
    Label(w, text=s, relief='groove').pack(padx=10, pady=5)
    Button(w, text='Ok', command=w.withdraw).pack(pady=5)

Every time I call winmsg() with a message I wish to display, the popup
dialog appears. When the user reads the message and presses the button,
the popup is immediately gone. I think this is what you want.

Note that this simple dialog is not modal, but that's a problem you may
run into further down the line, certainly not now.

Gerardo