[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter wiki back (was Re: Tkinter wiki down?)

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Apr 24 14:27:42 CEST 2007

Jeff Epler wrote:
> I was on a trip and had spotty net access.  I just arrived home today.
>
> A few days ago when I had some time online, I found that the machine
> hosting the tkinter wiki was very heavily loaded, and because there were
> many instances of the tkinter wiki cgi script, each weighing about 1GB
> of memory, I concluded that this was the cause for the heavy load.  I
> disabled the wiki (leading to the '500' errors everyone has seen)
> because at that time I couldn't look into the problem any more closely.
>
> Now that I'm home I've reenabled the wiki and it doesn't seem to be
> causing problems (yet) but that also means I don't know why there was a
> problem to begin with.
>
> It may be time to talk about moving the tkinter wiki to a system
> administered by somebody else.  I haven't exactly been doing a stellar
> job, and perhaps a new volunteer would do better.
>
> Jeff

Would migrating the wiki material to Python.org (I'm thinking of
http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter) make sense? The MacPython wiki had
fallen into disrepair (lots of spam, few updates) in part because it was
an old version of Moin and maintaining it was too time-consuming, and is
now at the Python wiki (http://wiki.python.org/moin/MacPython). The
Python wiki itself seems to be more secure, and has a larger group of
folks helping to administer it. Getting more stuff at the main Python
wiki makes sense to me from a user/developer standpoint.

Skip Montanaro did the MacPython migration--he can probably advise on
how to get the stuff moved over.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer