[stdlib-sig] ConfigParser - parsing options with no value

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Sep 19 00:30:49 CEST 2009

Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Georg Brandl <g.brandl at ...> writes:
>

>> Good point.  There's also an awful shortage of config parsers in the standard
>> library; we should add one or two.
>>

> Way back in the mists of time, a ConfigParserShootout was mooted and a wiki page
> dedicated to looking at alternative implementations - a whole bunch of
> candidates were nominated (disclosure: including one that I wrote, but also
> Michael's ConfigObj) but then it never went anywhere. Here's the link to the
> Wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/ConfigParserShootout
>
> Perhaps we should have a vote to select the one or two to include ;-)

It did go somewhere - it was discussed on Python-dev and Guido didn't
see the need to replace ConfigParser (and specifically didn't see the
need for nested sections that was at least in part the motivation for
the shootout).

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog