[stdlib-sig] new package idea: socket

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Mar 11 00:35:17 CET 2008

> And so you are objecting to having a socket package with the ssl
> module in it because there used to be a socket.ssl or somehow the SSL
> code was part of the socket module?

If you look at 2.6, you'll see that using the old "socket.ssl" is now
deprecated, to shift over to the new top-level ssl module.  Would be
max confusing to shift back to the bad old ssl module.  In addition,
this ruins the porting scheme we worked out, which is to be able to
deploy the new shiny ssl module in parallel with the old bad
socket.ssl module.

Bill