[stdlib-sig] new package idea: socket

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 10 23:05:28 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
>  > > I just dug SSL out of the socket module; not eager to put it back in.
>  >
>  > As in you don't like the idea of making it a module in the package?
>
>  Yes.
>

>  > This is not explicitly about merging code into the same file;
>  > sslmodule.c would stay separate like it is.
>
>  As it was before.

OK, I must be missing something, Bill, as I did not follow your SSL
rewrite carefully. You created the ssl module which is separate from
the socket module. It sounds like you did some untangling from the
socket module to make it a separate module.

And so you are objecting to having a socket package with the ssl
module in it because there used to be a socket.ssl or somehow the SSL
code was part of the socket module?

-Brett