[Spambayes] trouble with 1.1a6 on linux

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Jul 25 04:01:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03:03PM -0400, fred smith wrote:
> [...]
>
> The system is running Centos 5.x (where x is latest), which claims to
> have pyton 2.4.3.
>
> It's been running Spambayes 1.1a4 for some time, but on a whim I decided
> to update it to 1.1a6, yesterday.
>
> so I did the download, ran "python setup.py install". Saw that mail was
> still being delivered and figured that was good enough.
>
> several hours later I noticed that no spam was being filtered. A little
> investigation noted that the X-Spambayes header is not being added to any
> of the new mails being delivered.
>
> inspecting /var/log/messaes showed selinux errors coming from spambayes,
> so I followed the instructions given in the error msgs and solved the
> selinux problem.
>
> but still no X-Spambayes header in the mail being delivered. and I
> don't see any error messages anywhere, neither /var/log/messages,
> nor /var/log/maillog.
>
> overnight, when the database tools run (to, I assume, train/re-train,
> and whatever else they do) the email notification gave me the
> following message(s):
>
> Attempted to set [Storage] persistent_use_database with invalid value True
> +(<type 'str'>)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/sb_mboxtrain.py", line 5, in ?
>     pkg_resources.run_script('spambayes==1.1a6', 'sb_mboxtrain.py')
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 407, in
> +run_script
>     self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1084, in
> +run_script
>     execfile(script_filename, namespace, namespace)
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/sb
> +_mboxtrain.py", line 47, in ?
>     from spambayes import hammie, storage, mboxutils
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/hammie.py
> +", line 6, in ?
>     from spambayes import storage
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/storage.p
> +y", line 62, in ?
>     from spambayes import classifier
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/classifie
> +r.py", line 60, in ?
>     from spambayes.safepickle import pickle_read, pickle_write
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/safepickl
> +e.py", line 7, in ?
>     import lockfile
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 279, in ?
>
>   File
> +"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/lockfile-0.9.1-py2.4.egg/lockfile/linklockfil
> +e.py", line 6
>     from . import (LockBase, LockFailed, NotLocked, NotMyLock, LockTimeout,

and I bet that "from . import..." statement is the culprit (and possibly
others like it).

This version of LInux uses Pyton 2.4.3. the spambayes documentation says
2.2 should work. but looking at python.org I see that the syntax used above
didn't exist before 2.5.

So, once again I'd appreciate some guidance here,... would it be reasonable
to hack all the python modules that use "from .", or would it be best to
revert to the older version of spambayes I was using?

And if the best option is to revert, some guidance on how to do it would
be appreciated.

As mentioned right below here, I tried reinstalling the prior version
but it now does not work either. I don't know where to turn from here.

HELP ???

> I don't know what that all means, but it doesn't look good.
>
> so in desperation (and based on the theory that maybe 1.1a6 really doesn't
> work on pyton 2.4.3 despite what the docs say), I re-installed Spambayes
> 1.1a4 over the top of what I then had. much shorter output than what I
> got from installing 1.1a6, but no errors were reported.
>

> But I'm still not getting any X-Spambayes headers added to my emails.
>
> So, what did I do wrong, and how can I recover from it?
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred
 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us