[Spambayes] trouble with 1.1a6 on linux

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jul 24 18:03:03 CEST 2012

I've been using spambayes on my linux system for years, always with great
results.

The system is running Centos 5.x (where x is latest), which claims to
have pyton 2.4.3.

It's been running Spambayes 1.1a4 for some time, but on a whim I decided
to update it to 1.1a6, yesterday.

so I did the download, ran "python setup.py install". Saw that mail was
still being delivered and figured that was good enough.

several hours later I noticed that no spam was being filtered. A little
investigation noted that the X-Spambayes header is not being added to any
of the new mails being delivered.

inspecting /var/log/messaes showed selinux errors coming from spambayes,
so I followed the instructions given in the error msgs and solved the
selinux problem.

but still no X-Spambayes header in the mail being delivered. and I
don't see any error messages anywhere, neither /var/log/messages,
nor /var/log/maillog.

overnight, when the database tools run (to, I assume, train/re-train,
and whatever else they do) the email notification gave me the
following message(s):

Attempted to set [Storage] persistent_use_database with invalid value True
+(<type 'str'>)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sb_mboxtrain.py", line 5, in ?
    pkg_resources.run_script('spambayes==1.1a6', 'sb_mboxtrain.py')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 407, in
+run_script
    self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1084, in
+run_script
    execfile(script_filename, namespace, namespace)
  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/sb
+_mboxtrain.py", line 47, in ?
    from spambayes import hammie, storage, mboxutils
  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/hammie.py
+", line 6, in ?
    from spambayes import storage
  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/storage.p
+y", line 62, in ?
    from spambayes import classifier
  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/classifie
+r.py", line 60, in ?
    from spambayes.safepickle import pickle_read, pickle_write
  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/spambayes-1.1a6-py2.4.egg/spambayes/safepickl
+e.py", line 7, in ?
    import lockfile
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/__init__.py", line 279, in ?

  File
+"/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/lockfile-0.9.1-py2.4.egg/lockfile/linklockfil
+e.py", line 6
    from . import (LockBase, LockFailed, NotLocked, NotMyLock, LockTimeout,
         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I don't know what that all means, but it doesn't look good.

so in desperation (and based on the theory that maybe 1.1a6 really doesn't
work on pyton 2.4.3 despite what the docs say), I re-installed Spambayes
1.1a4 over the top of what I then had. much shorter output than what I
got from installing 1.1a6, but no errors were reported.

But I'm still not getting any X-Spambayes headers added to my emails.

So, what did I do wrong, and how can I recover from it?

thanks!

Fred
                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.