[Spambayes] HOW DO I SET UP PORTS FOR MULTIPLE SERVERS?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue May 13 19:57:01 CEST 2008

    Nathan> I get email from multiple remote servers.  I have no idea what
    Nathan> the port numbers are.  The instructions say that if I don't know
    Nathan> what to put in here, I should put 110.  However, if I put 110
    Nathan> repeatedly for all the servers, I'm told that each one should be
    Nathan> unique, I can't have the same port for all of them.

I think by "unique" it means each host/port pair must be unique.  The
interface is a bit unintuitive.  If you talk to servers A, B and C which,
respectively listen to ports M, N and O, you'd enter

    A,B,C

in the hosts field and

    M,N,O

in the ports field.  (I think comma is the separator.  Maybe it's a colon
though.)  It would be fine if M, N and O all equalled 110 as long as A, B
and C were distinct hosts.

    Nathan> Is there a maximum number of servers or ports that I can have?

I don't believe so.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/
"Be different, express yourself like everyone else."