[Spambayes] Spambayes 1.04 will not start / Cannot connect to localhost

Julian Brooks julian.brooks at bigfoot.com
Sat Sep 22 20:55:15 CEST 2007

Firstly I should say I have previously used Spambayes very successfully
with Outlook for over a year, thank you.  A recent change of email
program to Thunderbird has prompted me to try the pop3 proxy server instead.

I have scoured Google searches for 24hours in an effort to find any
answers to the problem I have been having, but to no avail.  Apologies
if there is an answer that I have not found. I have also been through
the Spambayes FAQ - which explains much but not for my problems. I have
also looked through the Nabble, Python - Spambayes forums.

I am running WinXP SP2, Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, Thunderbayes 0.2.2 addin
and Spambayes 1.04.  I am therefore using sb_service.exe and Spambayes
Tray.  I have 2 ISPs setup connecting via ports 110 and 111 and
Thunderbird set to retrieve the emails from localhost.  Initially after
setting everything up everything seemed to work fine.  I rebooted the
computer sometime later and then my problems started.  I have had great
difficulty getting the sb_service to start when the computer reboots.
It initially appears to start with the tray icon showing that Spambayes
is running.  The icon then changes and Spambayes shows it is stopped.
No manual attempts to restart either sb_service or the Spambayes Tray
will do anything.  Trying to pickup email from Thunderbird results in
"no connection to localhost" - which is not surprising as Spambayes is
not running.  I also cannot access the Spambayes config, view
information or read messages when the Spambayes is not running - also to
be expected you say (I have included this as information to others who
are having the same problems).

I have spent a couple of days trying different things in order to get
this to work:
 - reinstall Spambayes
 - looking at log files
 - disabling Thunderbayes master password - still not sure if this is an
issue or not

2 or 3 times Spambayes has started working again, have picked up email
and thought I had solved the problem only to be faced with a sb_service
that will not run when I reboot the computer.  If it seems vague as to
what I have tried, nothing seems to be repeatable, so am not sure.
Sorry, I do not have any log files to post now as everything has been
overwritten with my successes - see below.

I eventually came across a reference to Spambayes 1.1a4 in the Python -
Spambayes forum.  I found there was a windows install for this release
on Sourceforge and decided to try it out.  I first of all got in a mess
as I did not uninstall the 1.04 program correctly (perhaps there are
instructions somewhere I missed) which meant that 1.1a4 was using the
old sb_service.exe (I think?).  Anyway having deleted the sb_service
finally another install of 1.1a4 has sorting everything out so far. Its
still early days to know if my mail is being filtered correctly.  The
only thing I have noticed is that Spambayes is reporting that the
version is 1.1a3 and not 1.1a4.  I double checked my download which
seems to be correct from Sourceforge, but I did notice that someone else
noticed a similar problem all be it with the Outlook plugin for 1.1a4.

Lastly, I hope this email helps someone else.  I was going to post it
directly on the Nabble forum, but so far I have not been sent my
registration email.  I look forward to further releases of Spambayes.