[Spambayes] Spambayes load error - Bad Pickle Data??

Daniel Miller millerdev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 03:31:40 CEST 2007

Hi Dave (and everyone else),

First, let me introduce myself. I'm the developer of ThunderBayes. Thanks a lot for using ThunderBayes. It's very encouraging to write software that is used and valued by others.

> A recent system crash managed to corrupt my thunderbird installation. Now
> nearly all recovered - just one problem left with Thunderbayes.

>   Errors occurred
>   See the logfile '...' for details
>
> Acknowledging this allows me to go and load thunderbird OK, and Spambayes
> then works OK, but it still annoying. A copy of the file is attached.

It looks like your SpamBayes database got corrupted. You'll probably need to start training from scratch (or start with a backup from before the crash if you have one...you do backup don't you?)

The easiest way to do this is to delete (or move to somewhere safe) everything EXCEPT the bayescustomize.ini file in the spambayes_data directory in your profile.

Here's the background info: the big new feature in ThunderBayes is the fact that it ships with SpamBayes, so users don't need to bother with installing and configuring that before ThunderBayes will work. Unfortunately, this means that I had to set the default database type used by ThunderBayes to the Pickle protocol since BerkleyDB doesn't work on Mac OS X. If this was a bad decision, maybe someone here could give a better alternative? Anyway, I'm not even sure if that matters so much in your case (Dave) since a the crash you experienced may have corrupted BerkleyDB as well?

Hope that helps.

~ Daniel