[Spambayes] Randomized Spam Beating SpamBayes

Quinn Quinn at nobodysonline.com
Wed Oct 18 00:12:42 CEST 2006

> Sounds like something a "disociated press" or other random text
> generator created. Perhaps you know about the monkeys with a
> typewriter? If you let a thousand monkeys press random keys on
> a typewriter, eventually one of them will by accident write a
> few lines from a Shakespeare sonnet. These random text
> generators work in a similar way.

Interesting.  I hadn't realized that was being used to actually do anything;
that's kind of cool.  Not sure if these are coming from that sort of thing,
though.  There are references to specific websites and publications
scattered around self-referentially.  I really think they're somehow farming
real source and taking strings of variable length and just stringing them
together.  It's a pretty good way to produce coherent-ish body text that
doesn't read as gibberish from an electronic standpoint.

So, does this sort of thing defeat SpamBayes?  They're making it through the
filter with great regularity, and have been for quite a while, so the
algorithms haven't figured it out in several hundred messages.  Is there
_any_ way to deal with it, in SB or any other filter other than sender
black- or white lists?

Quinn