[Spambayes] can't get spam bayes to work

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jun 8 00:38:22 CEST 2005

> herewith the log files you requested.
[...]
> Can't connect to pop.verizon.net:110: (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')

What this means is that although OE can connect to SpamBayes, SpamBayes
isn't managing to connect to your mail server.  The "getaddrinfo failed"
error is somewhat unusual, as it indicates that the problem is in converting
the "pop.verizon.net" to it's IP address.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A%22IP+address%22&btnG=Google+
Search&meta=>

I'm not sure why this would be.  Is "pop.verizon.net" definitely exactly
what was in your OE settings previously?  I don't know anything about
Verizon, but a cursory look at their website indicates that
"incoming.verizon.net" might be the correct address.  (Pinging the two hints
at that, too).

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aping&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Try changing the SpamBayes settings to use "incoming.verizon.net".  To do
this:

  1.  Right-click on the SpamBayes icon in the tray (next to the clock).

  2.  Select "Configure..." from the pop-up menu.

  3.  In the browser window that opens, the top box should have
"pop.verizon.net" in it at the moment.   Change that to
"incoming.verizon.net" (no quotes).

  4.  Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.

  5.  Try using SpamBayes again.

If that doesn't work, then it's possible (although unlikely, since I gather
OE works without SpamBayes) that there's some sort of DNS lookup problem
(DNS lookup does the conversion from (e.g.) incoming.verizon.net to
206.46.232.10).

> Tony, the only reason I sent the e-mails to you was because I
> had received an e-mail from you.

I don't really care that you emailed me offlist, although it really is best
(for both of us) if you don't.  My signature (at the bottom of every list
message I send) explains this, ands asks people to send mail to the list
rather than to me.  There's a link to a more detailed explanation that is in
as clear language as possible for those that don't understand the
space-constrained signature.  A large number of people don't do this, though
(I suspect many people ignore signatures), so I'm used to it by now.

> I realize you're a volunteer, and that this program is
> offered free of charge, but why can't it be simpler to operate?

The simple answer is because making it simpler to operate is difficult and
takes a great deal of time.  There is a nearly completed script that will
automatically configure SpamBayes (basically it does all the steps outlined
in the FAQ) for varous common mail clients.  That's complicated to program,
however, and so far no-one has managed to have the time to finish it off.

As I said previously, SpamBayes is consistently getting easier to install
and use.  It's a incremental process.  It's only at version 1.0, after all!

Somewhat ironically, one of the things that makes this difficult is
answering support mail from this list (and elsewhere).  If I used the time
that I spend helping people here on SpamBayes development, then things would
improve faster.  However, that would mean that many people didn't get any
help in the meantime.  That's why the "how can I help" FAQ says that helping
others on the list (freeing up the developers' time) is very useful.

> And the first rule of business (even if it's free
> business)--never--ever berate the customer, no matter how
> stupid s/he may be.

To steal from Tim, berating is in the eye of the berated, but AFAIK I never
berated you.  Every reply is in the mailing list archives, too, so it's easy
for people to check.

=Tony.Meyer