[Spambayes] A most peculair problem with SB 1

Robert Neuschul robert at imagine.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 01:54:51 CET 2004

Tony

OK to other stuff:

> Further to this - the error that appears in the Event Log is:
>
> """
> Python could not import the service's module
>   File "C:\spambayes\windows\pop3proxy_service.py", line 82, in ?
>     import sb_server
>   File "C:\spambayes\scripts\sb_server.py", line 115, in ?
>     from spambayes.FileCorpus import FileCorpus, ExpiryFileCorpus
>   File "C:\spambayes\spambayes\FileCorpus.py", line 92, in ?
>     import sys, os, gzip, fnmatch, getopt, time, stat
>   File "C:\Python24\Lib\gzip.py", line 9, in ?
>     import zlib
> exceptions.ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function
> (initzlib)
> """

Which - apart from the exceptions line at the end seems to me to be similar to
my original error posting.

> If you get the same error, it would at least explain some things...

Running in debug mode there are two major differences:

1] SB works correctly, most of the time: I can run the config page locally or
remotely without having to run sb_server.py from a cmd session at the same
time. When it is running correctly it doesn't reurn any errors.

2] I can send/receive email.

What is possibly wrong [i.e. sometimes doesn't work] is that

a] SB sometimes throws an exception in Python, and

b] SB doesn't appear to be recording any debug or other logs anywhere.

I trapped the exception and it's listed below.

C:\Python23\Scripts>pop3proxy_service.py debug
Debugging service pop3proxy - press Ctrl+C to stop.
'Administrator', using config file 'C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\bayescustomize.ini'.
 Listener on port 1100 is proxying my.domain.mx.server:110
User interface url is http://localhost:8880/
error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel <sb_server.BayesProxy
connected 192.168.0.50:3142 at 0xdb5ad0> (socket.error:(10053, 'Software
caused connection abort') [C:\Python23\lib\asynchat.py|handle_read|88]
[C:\Python23\Scripts\sb_server.py|recv|397]
[C:\Python23\lib\asyncore.py|recv|356])

As soon as I stop the debug mode and restart the proxy in ordinary 'services'
mode we're back to square one: no comms and no access via browser to
home/config/message review etc. It makes no difference whether I start the
service from the MMC console or from a command line instruction.

Now whether or not SB *is* actually running as a service or whether the 2003
services console is lying to me and telling me that the service is running
when it isn't I haven't yet determined: the next logical step was to examine
the task manager processes console - and that clearly shows that
pythonservices.exe is running - but I cannot deduce from that if SB itself is
functional as a service.

Hope this is helping

RObert.