[Spambayes] A most peculair problem with SB 1

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Nov 10 03:35:48 CET 2004

> Hmm.  Trying the service myself, I can't get it regularly started when
> running from source (CVS or 1.0).  It *does* work if I run in
> debug mode (i.e. 'spambayes\windows\pop3proxy_service.py debug'), or if
> I use the 1.0 binary.  I'll look into why this is.

Further to this - the error that appears in the Event Log is:

"""
Python could not import the service's module
  File "C:\spambayes\windows\pop3proxy_service.py", line 82, in ?
    import sb_server
  File "C:\spambayes\scripts\sb_server.py", line 115, in ?
    from spambayes.FileCorpus import FileCorpus, ExpiryFileCorpus
  File "C:\spambayes\spambayes\FileCorpus.py", line 92, in ?
    import sys, os, gzip, fnmatch, getopt, time, stat
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\gzip.py", line 9, in ?
    import zlib
exceptions.ImportError: dynamic module does not define init function
(initzlib)
"""

Which is very odd.  It occurs with Python 2.3 or 2.4, so that doesn't appear
to matter.  zlib.pyd is where it should be, and does have initzlib in its
export table.

If I try adding "import zlib" to an otherwise functioning (non-SpamBayes)
Python service, I also get this error, so it's not SpamBayes related.  It is
very odd, however.  I'll keep trying to track this down.

If you get the same error, it would at least explain some things...

=Tony.Meyer