[Spambayes] Outlook plugin error

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Mar 7 10:01:21 EST 2003

> I always assumed that it was somehow related to the fact that mails arrive
> asynchronously, and could therefore arrive when the plugin "wasn't ready"
> somehow.

I have no idea how outlook send its events - but our plugin is called with
one event for each message that arrives.  We process this event
synchronousy - ie, the event handler does not return until the message has
been processed by us.

Thus, from our POV, we are always ready.  I have reason to suspect that
Outlook delivers these events synchronously on the main Outlook GUI thread,
but have no proof or documentary evidence.  Occasionaly, I have reason to
believe they do come on different threads.  Occasionally, I have reason to
believe I should check <wink>

But I see no evidence that there is conflict.  If a message is moved
underneath us, we get a MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND error (as the entryid changes).  If
something else changes the object underneath us, we get a
MAPI_E_OBJECT_CHANGED error which we can handle and retry.  We currently
*don't* have retry code in place, but we have never seen
MAPI_E_OBJECT_CHANGED (that would currently dump an exception to the debug
window, and leave the message unscored rather than zero)

The most-important-by-far thing I need to know is if a trace message, such
as:

> Message 'RE: It was nice to see at Amazon today...' had a Spam
classification of 'No'

appears for these messages with a spam score of zero which "show clues"
shows as non-zero.  Just don't forget that "show clues" reporting
5.38458e-015 is really reporting zero <wink>

Mark.