[Spambayes] Promoting Spambayes (was Re: FYI: Java implementation)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jan 21 11:28:10 EST 2003

At 04:05 PM 1/21/03 +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>Mozilla and SpamAssassin both copy their bayesian code from spambayes
>(including tokenisation ideas and combiners)

Cool.  But then it sounds like the "heavy hitters" have already abandoned
the Graham algorithm.

>It's nice to be proud of software, but when it's open source you kinda
>leave it wide open for us to nab your ideas ;-)

That's the whole point of promoting Spambayes, really.  To get the "good
stuff" into the hands of more people.  I'd rather see lots of programs
using the more effective ideas, than have a bunch of non-programmers try
less effective tools and swear off of "learning" spam filters because of it.