[Spambayes] Integration w/ mail clients

Josiah Carlson jcarlson@uci.edu
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:28:28 -0700

> What MUA functionality do other people think is necessary?

If the mail client stores email in any decent format (mbox, '\n.\n'
delimited, etc.), I can't imagine it would be a big deal to just have
the classifier check at regular intervals whether or not the file has
changed, and if so, re-index.  It wouldn't be difficult to add support
in for multiple recursive folders for people who don't have 15 folders
in their email root, but have subdirectories (I've done it in other
projects), and multiple databases (to make re-indexing easier).

It also wouldn't be a big deal to require that the user keep a 'spam'
folder, named in undercase, or even '__spam__', so that the software can
easily determine which is the bad stuff.  Of course assuming that the
good stuff is every other email anywhere else in your email archives.

In terms of actual integration, I don't believe more than the above is
required, especially if the proxy knows how to do multiple mail servers
(check out pasp or popfile on how we do it).

If the above were implemented for a few major email clients, a virtually
drop-in spam filter is possible.

Mozilla uses mbox, I don't know what Eudora or pegasus use, most linux
mail clients use mbox.  Outlook is a whore, but you can import your
outlook mail into mozilla, then it becomes mbox.  Of course there is the
borrowing of the outlook->mbox code from the mozilla project that could
happen, if only for outlook people.

 - Josiah