[Spambayes] Integration w/ mail clients

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:13:58 -0500

There's a tracker item asking for "Mozilla Mail integration":

  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498106&aid=616944&group_id=61702

In my own fiddling around trying to as correctly create ham & spam
collections (*) using Emacs' VM mail reader I've noticed that the simple act
of dumping a message into either a ham or spam file after deciding its
category is a bit tedious.  I think this is where most of my mistaken
hams-as-spam or spams-as-ham come from.  Currently, all messages so disposed
also wind up deleted, so I have to undelete them if I don't want them lost
from the regular mail stream.  Occasionally, I forget to do this.  I should
break down and write a little ELisp to do a bit better job of the task.  For
any other VM users out there, it seems to me that "l h" and "l s" would be
decent keybindings for whatever commands I develop to save ham and spam.

I think it would be worthwhile understanding what tasks can and/or should be
integrated into various mail clients.  Here's what I see as required:

    * training mode - the user makes the ham/spam distinction (my "lh"/"ls")
      example for VM

    * run mode - the mail client calls out to SB to get a reading on
      the message - this may not be necessary in many unixoid environments
      since other tools upstream from the MUA may run the classifier

    * override - the user corrects a mistake by the classifier - presumably
      it should be able to incrementally subtract the incorrect
      classification info from the score database and add the correct infon

What MUA functionality do other people think is necessary?

Skip

(*) Can we settle on "collection" instead of "corpus" to avoid the weird
plural?