[Spambayes] Terminology in user documentation: "spam" vs. "junkmail"

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri Nov 1 01:25:14 2002

> The reality is that the average person that will use this
> technology doesn't make a distinction between what we call spam
> and mail from their ex-boyfriend.
> It's all unwanted crap and they want to filter it.

Agreed.  Most people in my social circle who have heard of spam often think
it is a general term for "any mail with a large To list".  I've received a
number of legit mails starting with eg. "Sorry for the spam, but I thought
this too funny not to send to all of you" (it wasn't <wink>).

At the end of the day though, this is an issue for the front-ends rather
than the engine.  The outlook addin tends to use "spam or unwanted email"
and "good email".  "junk email" seems good too.  It wouldn't surprise me to
find the word "spam" excised eventually.

Front-end issues will probably drive small engine details though - nothing
beats real experience with a tool <wink>

Mark.