[Spambayes] Terminology in user documentation: "spam" vs. "junk mail"

Tim@mail.powweb.com Tim@mail.powweb.com
Fri Nov 1 01:08:41 2002

Unwanted email is the best idea in your list.  This technology is useful for filtering mail from any number of sources, not just spammers.  How about mail from
an ex-* who won't leave you alone...  While perhaps other kinds of mail are not quite as predictable as general spam, they could be filtered nonetheless...
The reality is that the average person that will use this technology doesn't make a distinction between what we call spam and mail from their ex-boyfriend.
It's all unwanted crap and they want to filter it.

- Tim

Robin said:

When we start writing user documentation, I propose using the term "junk
mail" instead of "spam" and "non-junk mail" (or some other term) instead
of "ham". I believe this will reduce confusion among non-techies who are
encountering spam terminology for the first time. They'll have enough
new ideas to learn trying to install and run a filter, let's not add
jargon to what they have to learn.

Other possibilities:

"junk email" instead of "spam"
"valid email" instead of "ham"