[spambayes-dev] Release 1.0a4

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Jul 4 07:26:19 EDT 2003

[Tony]
> I presume [not using distutils] is behind the problems with line endings
> that people have reported (which seem reasonably substantial).

I'm not sure that's true - When I was building alpha2, I seem to recall
building an install using distutils on Windows and seeing \r\n line endings
in there.  I eventually built it on Linux to be on the safe side.  I could
be wrong (it seems like an obvious bug in distutils, and it's hard to
believe it's still there - it was probably something I was doing wrong).  I
thought I'd mailed the list about it at the time, but I can't find anything
in the archives about it.

> 3.  There was a bug with large/slow messages in pop3proxy that Richie
> fixed.  This also was not (AKAIK) in a2, and could also be a big
> problem, resulting in pop3proxy malforming mail.

This was a nasty one.  Any message that took longer than 30 seconds to
download would have a bogus boundary separator inserted into it - typically
that would be in the middle of an attachment, rendering the attachment
broken.  It was introduced on 19th April 2003, between alpha2 and alpha3.

Another fix I've made to pop3proxy recently makes it recover from
exceptions in parsing, classifying or caching messages.  Previously,
malformed emails or things like running out of disk space could make it
fail.  Now, it writes details of the exception into an
X-Spambayes-Exception header and carries on.

> Comments?

Please go ahead!

--
Richie Hindle