[Soc2015-general] Patch/code sample requirement information

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sat Mar 21 05:26:56 CET 2015

Hi all!

I've had a few questions about the patch requirement on IRC, so I
thought I'd talk a bit about it here for anyone who's wondering but
hasn't been sitting on the IRC channel.

First, here's a link to our application template for this year:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/ApplicationTemplate2015

The patch requirement is under "Project Proposal Information":

"""
Link to a patch/code sample, preferably one you have submitted to your
sub-org (required)

Note: Python requires all students to submit a patch. This does not need
to be accepted and merged into your project, but it does need to be
online and available for potential mentors to inspect. It should be a
patch for the sub-org with whom you will be working if accepted for
GSoC, unless your mentors specifically indicate to you that another code
sample would be acceptable. Contact your mentors if you are unsure what
would be an appropriate patch to submit.
"""

The idea behind this requirement is that we want you to demonstrate that
you've been able to work with the source code of your sub-org.

Some potential patch ideas:
- fix an easy bug
- fix some typographical errors (e.g. in the user interface)
- add a small test case for something not currently tested
- choose a large file or small subdirectory and do coding style checks
(For example, you could use the PEP8 checker for projects following the
Python Style Guide), then fix any issues found

The code you submit needs to be available to all mentors who will
evaluate your application, so typically you should put it up somewhere
public and provide a link.  (e.g. gitlab, github or launchpad would be
good places.)

In general, closed-source and license-restricted code is not acceptable,
as many mentors may have job restrictions that do not allow them to look
at this type of code.  Usually code from old assignments or previous
jobs will not be acceptable either, unless they involved open source
contributions to your chosen sub-org.

The people who get the final call on what code samples are acceptable
are your mentors, so if you have any questions or doubts about the code
you're submitting, contact them and ask!

  Terri