[Shtoom] Re: Thanks for merging my code

Casper Wilstrup cwi at unispeed.dk
Mon Oct 4 13:34:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 13:06, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> Casper Wilstrup wrote:
> > One issue though. The reason I return zero sound in the BacklogPlayout
> > rather than '' is that this will cause the PCM to underrun, causing ugly
> > clicking sounds when the ALSA layer resets the PCM. The zero sound
> > packets are in turn balanced by discarding real packets when the backlog
> > is restored to it's maximum length. This is far better than having ALSA
> > buffer the extra sound bits, since this can cause unacceptable playback
> > latency to build up. Replacing the 0 sound with a low white static
> > sounds like a good idea though.
>
> Hm. My idea was that we put something in place to catch underruns
> and do sound substitution - for that, it's necessary to be able to
> distinguish between underrun and silence.

Yes, but wouldn't the right place to do the sound substitution be
in the Playout code - the choice of which should probably also be
made configurable?

Another thing: I'd like to make a class which implements converting
entered urls in the dial entry to a real sip URL. This would be the
place future address book lookups should be performed, as well as
normalizing, eg. entering '600' becomes 'sip:600 at voip.unispeed.dk', the
domain being taken from the registrar URL. Would that be OK with you?

/Casper