[SciPy-User] "Order of items" optimization

Andrea Gavana andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 02:23:46 EST 2015

Hello List,

    I am sure the problem I am trying to solve is fairly known but my
English/Google skills are failing me today.

The issue I am facing is to find the "best" (or "optimal") ordering of some
items (and the order is important). These items can only be taken at most
once - no repetition, although an item can also be deemed unimportant and
not taken at all. So basically it would be a 0-1 coefficient for each item,
but the order in which these items are taken is fundamental.

I don't have big issues in writing the objective function for this kind of
problem, but I am unclear about the solution method: I have looked at the
Knapsack problem and bin packing problem, but I am not sure they completely
apply to my situation.

Any pointer, suggestion (and maybe if you have a link with some Python code
somewhere) would be very appreciated :-) .

Thank you in advance for your help :-) .

Andrea.