[SciPy-User] Installing scipy on MacOS X

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 17 14:29:39 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Slater Joseph C , PhD, PE" <joseph.slater at wright.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'll try doing this next. A lot of directions/support, taking me a long
> > time to iterate around them. What python do you have installed? I'm happy
> > to exactly copy what anyone else has that works.
>

> I have Anaconda from continuum.io (Python 3.4).

which is 64 bit only.

> I use gfortran binaries from the gfortran wiki, not the dual architecture
> build that Matthew Brett recommends.

which will get you around the dual architecture complications...

I take it Anaconda doesn't provide gfortran -- too bad, that would be nice.

However, there are a couple on binstar -- maybe worth a shot?

$ binstar search gfortran
Using binstar api site https://api.anaconda.org
Run 'binstar show <USER/PACKAGE>' to get more details:
Packages:
     Name                      |  Version | Package Types   | Platforms

     ------------------------- |   ------ | --------------- |
---------------
     OpenMDAO/libgfortran      |    4.8.3 | conda           | linux-32,
osx-64
     dfroger/gfortran          |    4.8.2 | conda           | osx-64

                                          : The GNU Compiler Collection
     dfroger/libgfortran       |    4.8.2 | conda           | osx-64

                                          : The GNU Compiler Collection
Found 3 packages

-Chris

> With Anaconda you can create an environment for developing SciPy like so
> (from the top of my head):
>

> $ conda create --mkdir --prefix ~/scipydev-env python=3.4 numpy=1.9 cython
> nose pyflakes pep8
>

> Sturla

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov