[SciPy-User] Naming Ideas

Joe Kington jkington at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:25:12 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Almar Klein <almar.klein at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I dont think that the name pylab implies a matlab *clone*. An alternative
> > perhaps, which is true in many ways.
>
> Agreed, no more than scilab is taken to be a matlab clone (which it
> isn't).  It's just a union of python and lab, something that brings up
> ideas of science and experimentation.
>
> BTW, on another thread I just got reminded of the name John Hunter and
> I started using years ago for our workshops, which I've also kept at
> Berkeley for various activities: py4science.  I own all the domains
> (org, net, com) and would be happy to transfer them if that name
> sticks.

Just to add another voice (as if there weren't enough already), I think the
"py4science" name is an excellent choice.

It clearly emphasizes the "scientific computing in python" angle without
any conflicts with existing packages.  It's catchy and google-able, to boot.

Just my two cents, at any rate.
-Joe