[SciPy-User] Python significance / error interval / confidence interval module?

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Jun 17 11:12:21 EDT 2011

How about http://pypi.python.org/pypi/uncertainties/

>    Specifically I am looking for Poisson rate estimates in the presence of
>    uncertain background and / or efficiency, e.g. for an "on/off
>    measurement".

Wow, that seems a bit more involved than Gaussian error statistics. I am
not sure that the above package will solve your problem.

>    The standard method of Rolke I am mainly interested in is available in
>    ROOT and RooStats, a C++ high energy physics data analysis package:

If you really need proper Poisson-rate errors, then you might indeed not
to translate the Rolke method to Python. How about contributing it to
uncertainties.