[SciPy-User] Python significance / error interval / confidence interval module?

Christoph Deil deil.christoph at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:08:16 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am looking for a python module for significance / error interval / confidence interval computation.
Specifically I am looking for Poisson rate estimates in the presence of uncertain background and / or efficiency, e.g. for an "on/off measurement".

The standard method of Rolke I am mainly interested in is available in ROOT and RooStats, a C++ high energy physics data analysis package:
http://root.cern.ch/root/html/TRolke.html
https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/RooStats/WebHome

However I want my python code to not depend on the huge ROOT package and extracting just this part and writing a python wrapper is not easily possible, I think.

If you know of an existing python module or are interested in helping me write one (mainly by porting some parts of RooStats to python/numpy/scipy), please let me know.

Cheers,
Christoph