[SciPy-User] Status of TimeSeries SciKit

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:35:32 EDT 2011

On Jul 26, 2011, at 4:25 PM, Wes McKinney wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 26, 2011, at 2:30 PM, Paul Bilokon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to find out about the status of the TimeSeries SciKit. It looks like it hasn't been updated for some years. Has the development ceased?
>>
>> Years is an overstatement...
>> The scikits hasn't been updated in a while, yes. The two developpers got really busy on other projects (like, jobs to pay bills) and  unfortunately don't  currently have the time to keep it up-to-date.
>> *If* I could find a job that would leave me a bit of time to work on it, I'd try to support the new date time type. But until then, further developments are in limbo and support limited.
>> That doesn't mean that you'd be on your own, questions will still be answered...
>>

> hi Paul,
>
> Skipper and I (statsmodels) relatively recently discussed moving
> scikits.timeseries to GitHub and maintaining it there since we work on
> models for time series analysis.

Er…
https://github.com/pierregm/scikits.timeseries/
https://github.com/pierregm/scikits.timeseries-sandbox/

the second one is actually a branch of the first one (I know, it's silly with git, but I was only learning at the time), that provides some new functionalities like a 'time step' in addition to the 'time unit' (so that you can define regular series w/ one entry every 5min, say), but is not completely baked on the C side (I had some issues subclassing the C ndarray).

> I work very actively on time
> series-related functionality in pandas so it might not even be
> unthinkable to merge together the projects (scikits.timeseries and
> pandas) and integrate all the numpy.datetime64 stuff once the dust
> settles there. Just thinking out loud.

That's an idea.