[SciPy-User] ANN: python-sundials

Gökhan Sever gokhansever at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:09:32 EST 2011

Hello,

I have heard of Sundials library used in a cloud modelling application
(Particularly in a C++ model -- a modelling / simulation paper titled Adaptive
method of lines for multi-component aerosol condensational growth and CCN
activation <http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/4/15/2011/gmd-4-15-2011.html>)

Could you please give some highlights of what advantages the Sundials
package have over Scipy's ODE solvers? Do these two solvers aim at different
domains?

Thanks.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Runar Tenfjord <runar.tenfjord at gmail.com>wrote:

> python-sundials is a Cython wrapper for the Sundials solver suite.
>
> The wrapper is based on code posten on the cython-dev mailing list by
> Mr. Jon Olav Vik.
>
> Highlights
>
> CVODE - Solver for stiff and nonstiff ordinary differential equation
> IDA - Solver for the solution of differential-algebraic equation (DAE)
> systems
> KINSOL - solver for nonlinear algebraic systems
>
> The CVODE and IDA solvers support root finding and the solver throws
> an exception on finding a root.
> There is also an example of implementing the right side equation in
> Cython for speed.
>
> home: http://code.google.com/p/python-sundials/

Gökhan