[SciPy-User] Some interactive Python tutorials on basic stats, possibly useful for teaching

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:01:36 EST 2011

Hi Raj,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Raj <rajeev.raizada at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re Github: I would be more than happy to upload the scripts to there.
> Please let me know where it would be best for me to put them.

It's basically up to you: a 'gist'  is meant as a lightweight
container for one or more (but hopefully a few, say three or four max)
files with a simple revision history.  The system lets you keep the
files, make incremental improvements, and there can be some discussion
right there.  Here's a good example of a gist with a few files, some
history and some discussion:

https://gist.github.com/566233

Alternatively, you can create a full-blown git repository.  This
requires a little more setup (it's not that hard though), but you get
a proper named url, a bug tracker, pull requests, a wiki, etc.  This
is what numpy, ipython, nipy*, etc. use, and in a  few days also scipy
and matplotlib.

I mentioned the gist situation because your snippets seemed like a
good use case for such a lightweight, low-overhead tool.

But honestly, if you'd like to keep developing them, you might want to
consider making a little 'pystats-tutorials' proper git repository so
the project can grow more.  I can imagine something like this growing
over time into a very useful collection of tools for interactive stats
demos, and at that point you'll benefit from the full infrastructure
of a real github repo.

It's still 100% free, and the time you invest in learning how to use
the tools will pay tenfold for you on many fronts.

And if you get stuck with git, head over to J. Haxby's lab and talk to
Yarick or Michael H., they are more or less world-class gurus  on that
stuff...  A number of us really got into these tools after watching
those two in awe.

Best,