[SciPy-User] Mismatch architecture type, compiling scipy on Mac 10.6

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 19:37:57 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 17:52, Jeremy Conlin <jlconlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM, David <david at silveregg.co.jp> wrote:
>> On 02/08/2011 07:45 AM, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
>>> I have compiled python 2.7 and numpy.1.5.1 in 64-bit on my Mac running
>>> 10.6.3.  I'm trying to compile 64 bit scipy as well, but I'm running
>>> into a problem.  I'm pretty sure that the problem is architecture
>>> related.  The error(s) I get are copied below.  The command I used to
>>> compile scipy is:
>>>
>>> LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64 -Wall -undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle"
>>> FFLAGS="-arch x86_64"  python setup.py install
>>>
>>> I used the same command to compile numpy without any problems.  I am
>>> using g95 and gcc (version info below).
>>
>> Don't use g95, it has caused too many issues, especially on mac os x.
>> Use gfortran, the one available on http://r.research.att.com/tools/ (NOT
>> the one on hpc.sourceforge.org, which does not work well either).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I can't install a
> precompiled binary since I do not have root access on my machine.
> However, I was able to compile gfortran (version 4.5.2) on my own and
> it got me past my previous problems.
>
> I have now come up with a new error.  It seems that gcc doesn't like
> the option "-faltivec" (full error copied below).  A Google search
> indicates that this may be an old option that isn't necessary anymore.
>  How can I remove this option?  I know I didn't specify it in any
> environment variable.

Did you just follow the regular gfortran build instructions? You need
to do some customizations from Apple before you can get it to work
properly. See the section "Building a universal compiler" on
http://r.research.att.com/tools/

Even if you don't use their binaries, I would suggest following their
build advice.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."