[SciPy-User] Signal to noise ratio

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 10:23:11 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ivo Maljevic <ivo.maljevic at gmail.com> wrote:
> One would think that you can always rely on wikipedia when it comes to math
> and engineering, but it seems that is not tha case.
> Josef, In the page you referenced, the SNR, or signal to noise ratio, is
> defined as the ratio between the signal and noise powers. Consequently, in
> terms of signals and standard deviations, it is defined as a ratio of the
> average signal power and the noise variance (NOT its squre root, or standard
> deviation). Or:
>
> SNR = P_s / sigma^2
>
> where P_s is the average signal power, and the noise variance is used to
> measure the noise power. The assumption here is that the noise is a zero
> mean process, otherwise variance and power wouldn't be the same thing.

Note: I linked to #Statistical_definition not the top of the wikipedia page
and I checked the source in scipy.stats:
    Calculates the signal-to-noise ratio, defined as the ratio between the mean
    and the standard deviation.

    m = np.mean(a, axis)
    sd = samplestd(a, axis)
    return np.where(sd == 0, 0, m/sd)

I didn't know about the different definitions until I read the
Wikipedia page, but that's what's currently in scipy.stats

Josef