[SciPy-User] Signal to noise ratio

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 10:16:19 EST 2010

One would think that you can always rely on wikipedia when it comes to math
and engineering, but it seems that is not tha case.
Josef, In the page you referenced, the SNR, or signal to noise ratio, is
defined as the ratio between the signal and noise powers. Consequently, in
terms of signals and standard deviations, it is defined as a ratio of the
average signal power and the noise variance (NOT its squre root, or standard
deviation). Or:

SNR = P_s / sigma^2

where P_s is the average signal power, and the noise variance is used to
measure the noise power. The assumption here is that the noise is a zero
mean process, otherwise variance and power wouldn't be the same thing.

Nils, your question is way too generic for anyone to help you directly. I
can only point to you that your signal to noise ratio is quite low:

>>> 10*math.log10(0.0447)
-13.496924768680636

Maybe your signal is to narrow compared to the overal band you are working
with (or you have DS spread spectrum signal?).
Anyway, you will need to figure out which filter you want to use (e.g.,
butterworth for maximally flat characteristic in the passband, etc).