[SciPy-User] scipy.interpolate.rbf: how is "smooth" defined?

Mischa Schirmer mischa at astro.uni-bonn.de
Mon Aug 30 07:10:48 EDT 2010

Hello,

I'm doing a 2D fit using scipy.interpolate.rbf.
I have no problem with the fit itself, it works fine.

Data points are randomly scattered in a x-y plane,
and have a z-value each. The data is fairly well
behaved, in the sense that variations across-x-y
plane are slow. The data is somewhat noisy, and
thus I want to smooth it.

rbf has a 'smooth' parameter which is working well,
but it is exteremly poorly documented. Basically,
for smooth=0 no smoothing takes place, and for
smooth>0 some smoothing takes place.

Does anybody know how large the smoothing length
is? Is it internally modified depending on the
number of nodes entering the fit?

I'm asking because the number of nodes in my data
can vary from a few 10s to more than 10000.
Clearly, in the latter case I can do with a much
smaller smoothing scale, but I'd like to determine
it in some automatic fashion.

It appears that the smoothing length is
somehow normalised. At the moment I set 'smooth'
to 10% of the average distance between nodes
(in data units), resulting in a (numerically)
much larger effective smoothing scale.

Any insight is much appreciated!

Mischa Schirmer