[SciPy-User] Compiling SciPy almost works

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Thu Aug 5 05:16:53 EDT 2010

On 08/05/2010 05:21 PM, Søren Gammelmark wrote:
> You mean setting the environment-variable CXX to icpc? That does not
> work (I tried it), but I would not expect it to either -- I did not
> think that the numpy distutils listen to those environment-variables?
>
> When I compiled numpy/scipy I had to do a bit of editing in
> numpy/distutils/intelcompilers.py, where I changed the line cc_exe =
> 'icc' to include more command-line arguments, i.e. cc_exe = 'icc -fPIC
> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -parallel'. One possibility would be to put in
> icpc here instead, but then everything will be compiled with icpc. I
> tried this, but then the numpy-compilation sprouts errors about missing
> libraries (I did not try thi SciPy-compilation).
>
> I then tried adding a cxx_exe = 'icpc .....' line and modifying to
> cxx_compiler option i intelcompilers.py. This appears to work (and make
> excellent sense). I can then compiler NumPy without problems and SciPy
> compiles fine and sparsetools work as they should. Now, however, the
> scipy.test() crashes with "*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next
> size (fast): 0x0000000001f6f2b0 ***" when running
> test_arpack.TestEigenNonSymmetric.

This may indeed be unrelated. ARPACK (or at least our wrapper) has
several obscure bugs which are unfortunately hard to reproduce.

> It would be nice if we could get better support for the Intel-compilers
> since I believe they are used by many scientific institutions.

The problem is those are not free, and that our build infrastructure
sucks. So we mostly rely on volunteers to make this work, but I don't
think people can expect to get the same support for Intel compilers and
Gnu compilers on linux.

cheers,

David