[SciPy-user] Relatively simple PDE's and Scipy

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 05:39:56 EDT 2009

Dear All,
I hope this is not too off-topic.
Some time ago I posted about the general availability of PDE solvers
under SciPy.
Now I can be more specific; say you are given the equation

\partial_t f(x,t)+\partial_x(f(x,t)/x)=0,
where t is time and x is position in 1D. I would say that I am dealing
with a 1D PDE (so, nothing like solving a multi-dimensional PDE on a
complex domain).

Do you think there is any ready-to-use method to tackle this kind of
equation under (or tightly integrated with) SciPy?
I stress that x is a scalar variable and not a vector. Overall, it
does not look (naively) a terrible equation, but I am having a hard
time with it.
Many thanks

Lorenzo