[SciPy-user] Install scipy on ubnutu 8.10

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Oct 7 08:14:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Xavier Gnata <xavier.gnata at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>>
>> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> >
>> > The way forward is to get involved with Debian packaging and get this
>> > fixed.
>> >
>> > I did that for the scipy package and fixed that by applying a simple
>> > patch to scipy. As to the default umfpack location, I also wondered
>> > just like you, but it's useful to ask on the Debian list itself and
>> > ask the people who do the packaging. :)
>>
>> Oh, I know why they did that (avoiding cluttering /usr/include). I don't
>> think there is a point in discussing, they won't change it now. We have
>> to handle this in our umfpack detection scheme.
>>

> Thanks! Indeed it is fully pointless to try to change that. libsuitesparse
> must have somthing special as a library but anyway...if it is fixed by
> adding /usr/include/suitesparse in the scipy seearch path it is perfect :)

Well, I thought it should change, but apparently there are reasons for
the current way. And for me, I don't really care where it is, as long
as it works. So imho adding the /usr/include/suitesparse in the search
path is the way to go.

> Ondrej : Maybe I should try to have a script tool able to take the sources
> of the scipy package, replace scipy sources by the current svn ones and try
> to rebuild the package every week or so.

Indeed, that'd be useful. Basically you just need the debian dir,
that's it. Let me know if you need anything fixed. As I said, if you
have time, we'd be happy if you join the Debian Python Modules Team
and help us maintain the scipy/numpy packages in Debian/Ubuntu.

Ondrej