[SciPy-user] Install scipy on ubnutu 8.10

Xavier Gnata xavier.gnata at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 07:43:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:49 AM, David Cournapeau <
david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Ondrej Certik wrote:
> >
> > The way forward is to get involved with Debian packaging and get this
> fixed.
> >
> > I did that for the scipy package and fixed that by applying a simple
> > patch to scipy. As to the default umfpack location, I also wondered
> > just like you, but it's useful to ask on the Debian list itself and
> > ask the people who do the packaging. :)
>
> Oh, I know why they did that (avoiding cluttering /usr/include). I don't
> think there is a point in discussing, they won't change it now. We have
> to handle this in our umfpack detection scheme.

Thanks! Indeed it is fully pointless to try to change that. libsuitesparse
must have somthing special as a library but anyway...if it is fixed by
adding /usr/include/suitesparse in the scipy seearch path it is perfect :)

Ondrej : Maybe I should try to have a script tool able to take the sources
of the scipy package, replace scipy sources by the current svn ones and try
to rebuild the package every week or so.

Xavier