[SciPy-user] conforming to Python GIL...

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 21:20:18 EDT 2008

On 03/04/2008, fred <fredmfp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Travis E. Oliphant a écrit :
>

>  > This requires a bit of effort to solve.   We need to in multiple places...
>
> Hum, I do understand, but...
>
>  It's very hard to believe that I am the only guy in the entire universe
>  who encounters this kind of issue, uh ? ;-)))
>
>  IOW... how do scipy users do ???

You're not; it's in the FAQ, and there's a page devoted to it:
http://www.scipy.org/ParallelProgramming

I am surprised by the *particular* problem you have, that is, that the
GIL is not released *at all* for long periods by scipy; I think most
large pieces of compiled code in numpy/scipy operate outside the GIL
(and interpreted code releases the GIL frequently). This makes it not
just a parallel processing issue.

Anne